There are many advantages to studying at Coruña British Coruña School, not least because the students follow a long-standing and strongly consolidated dynamic educational model which is constantly adapted to our innovative international school project. Today we want to highlight one that, although it may seem a long way in the distance, generates some concern among our current and potential parents.

We are talking about university access. What universities can my child access if they study at CBS? What is the process? Are some of the questions our parents ask. We hope to give an answer to these and many other questions in the following text.

The first point is to clarify is that our students will have the possibility to access universities around the world with the academic results achieved in Secondary School and then Sixth Form, more specifically with the final assessments at Year 11 and Year 13.

At the end of Year 11 our students are examined in the IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education), the official state exams in the British Secondary curriculum. When completing Year 13 (equivalent to 2nd Bachillerato), they take the A-level exams (Advanced Level). The results of both exams are key to access to the university.

University access in Spain

Access to the Spanish university (public or private) through A-Levels is guaranteed on equal terms to that of students from Spanish schools.

There is a process of validation for our students known as Direct Access and it is processed through the University of Distance Education (UNED). In order to validate the studies of Secondary School, at least four approved subjects of the IGCSE exams and at least two approved subjects of A-Level for the Baccalaureate are required. In order to obtain the grade of 10 of the General Phase of University entrance exams a formula for the conversion of the grades is used.

En GRADOS con notas de acceso entre 10 y 14 puntos, el alumno del sistema UE y países con convenio bilateral (como es nuestro caso) podrá examinarse de asignaturas PCE (pruebas de competencias específicas) en la UNED, que añadirán un máximo de 4 puntos a la nota obtenida mediante sus A-Levels.

In GRADES with access marks between 10 and 14 points, the student of the EU system and countries with a bilateral agreement (as is our case) will be able to examine the PCE subjects (tests of specific competences) in the UNED, which will add a maximum of 4 points to the grade obtained through their A-Levels.

The marks corresponding to the PCE subjects will only add points (4 maximum) if they are recognised by the desired university as linked to the career chosen by the student (as in the system of access to the university of any Spanish centre).

At the moment, the school will help you with the process and the steps to follow, but if you want to get more information you can here:

University Access in the United Kingdom

To study at university level in the UK it is necessary to have passed at least two A-Level subjects, although in many cases, especially among the most prestigious universities, at least three passed subjects with a B qualification or higher are required. Students must apply through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). In this process The school also supports the student through this process with help and advice, but if you want more information you just have to click here:

Other countries

Our students access to university is not limited to Spain and the United Kingdom. Many European universities are expanding their programme offerings to include degrees and masters with English as the language of instruction and assessment. The A-level is also recognised for applications to North American universities. Both the United States and Canada value students who have followed the A-level programme.



14 / 05 / 18